Thursday, July 11, 2019

Mick Flannery - "Come Find Me"

Last year I spoke to Irish singer-songwriter Mick Flannery for UMFM's Festival Express series prior to his performance at the 2018 edition of the fest. (The Winnipeg Folk Festival kicks off at Birds Hill Park this evening and you can check out the 2019 edition of Festival Express here).

This past Friday, Flannery released his new self-titled record and while I think the whole thing is uniformly solid, the track I keep going back to is "Come Find Me," slotted at number 3 in the batting order, meaning it's a heavy-hitter. Last night, I'm pretty sure I gave this cut about 5 spins in a row before having to take a break.

The pizzicato string accompaniment lends an urgency and forward momentum to the song that pulls against Flannery's at-times languid delivery on the verses before he plunges ahead on the chorus - which makes sense as he pulls away from the listener and notes "I'm running / come find me / come find me."

No comments:

Post a Comment