Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Dylan Perkons - "Desert Island"

Every now and then I hear a song that just GUTS me. The first track off Dylan Perkons upcoming LP, The Healing Day, which he recorded at Port William Sound with Reductive Reviews fave Jonas Bonnetta (aka Evening Hymns) landed in my inbox yesterday and the text accompanying the link to the track gives the following background:

Desert Island” comes from my own tendency to go inward and seek isolation in times of emotional distress, partnered with the need to be seen and heard and share this life with people I love. It touches on the struggle between these two things – both the immense capacity of vulnerability, and the shame that’s often felt when we isolate ourselves.

I'm gutted because it 100% speaks to my own experience and something I wrestle with and puts it to music. The way the lyrics more from "oh you know / oh you know / I'm better off alone" to "oh you know / oh you know / I'm grateful for love" gets me every time and even typing it up my throat constricts and my tear ducts fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment