Friday, June 28, 2019

Myele Manzanza - "Family Dynamics" / "Itaru's Phone Booth"

I don't think I've ever done this before, but I'm going to include two tracks from the same record on this post instead of singling one out.

While I enjoyed 2016's OnePointOne release from Kiwi drummer/composer Myele Manzanza, I never posted about it. But because he's on the ever-reliable (and award-winning) First Word Records, I've kept an ear open for what he's up to. A Love Requited drops today and was one of the first things I listened to this morning. The album starts strong, but it's in the beginning of the second-quarter that things REALLY start to cook. "Family Dynamics" is the cleanup hitter and deserving of that spot in the batting order because it swings for the fences. Pianist Matthew Sheens - who has worked with First Word's Ross McHenry, has some lovely, deft runs on this track and Jake Baxendale's alto-sax just comes alive after minute two.



That's immediately followed up by "Itaru's Phone Booth," which is a lovely, restrained number that pulls the pace back a touch without losing any of the album's momentum.



Do yourself a favor and give A Love Requited a full listen over this long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment