Thursday, June 6, 2019

My Polaris Prize Ballot - 2019 Round One

So last night at midnight CT, my ballot for the first round of the 2019 Polaris Music Prize was due. And after the usual down-to-the-wire sweating it out, I whittled my own longlist down to my five album ballot.

As I've done in the past, I'm sharing my longlist and ballot and I have to say this was another tough year. There were several albums I agonized over up to the deadline and did some soul-searching and flip-flopping before I pressed 'submit.'

Some of these titles will come as no surprise to people who've followed the blog or listened to my show on UMFM - the reason I've played them or shared them is because I've enjoyed them.

Kudos to all who are listed below - I'm a big fan of what you're doing. I strongly encourage people to check these albums out.

Here's my alphabetical longlist:

AKUA - Them Spirits
Allison Au Quartet - Wander Wonder
Black Legary - sirulian memorii
Tanika Charles - The Gumption
Isla Craig - The Becoming
Simon Daniel - Nightcrawler
Sarah Davachi - Gave In Rest
Elaquent - Blessing In Disguise
FET.NAT - Le Mal
Flying Horses - Reverie
Greys - Age Hasn't Spoiled You
Jayda G - Significant Changes
Korea Town Acid - Mahogany Forest
nehiyawak - Starlight EP
Safia Nolin - dans le noir
Rhye - Spirit EP
Joseph Shabason - Anne
Shay Lia - Dangerous
Slow Spirit - Idle
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - Trapline
Alexandra Streliski - Inscape
Teen Daze - Bioluminescence
TOBi - Still
Tony Wilson & Burn Down the Cornfield - This Way Thru the Forest
Justin Wright - Music For Staying Warm
Yes We Mystic - Ten Seated Figures

And here's my ballot:

It just so happens the Longlist reveal is taking place in Winnipeg this year. Fingers-crossed some of these albums will be among those announced on June 20th at The Forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment