Thursday, February 7, 2019

Kassa Overall - "La Casa Azul ft. Roy Hargrove"

It's been a minute since I listened to a Roy Hargrove record, but with his The RH Factor project, the jazz trumpeter has been bridging genres for ages and ages. Hard Groove is nearly a decade-and-a-half old at this point. So I'm not surprised - but I was excited - to see his name pop up on this project from New York rapper / drummer / producer Kassa Overall. The intersection of jazz / neo-soul / hip-hop is something Hargrove has already explored and quite likely inspired Overall's Go Get Ice Cream and Listen To Jazz record.

I'm in on the whole record and have already bookmarked it for my year-end longlist, but I was particularly taken with "La Casa Azul," the track featuring Hargrove's muted horn alternating between smooth and staccato, providing as much bounce as the bass line and as crisp a snap as the snare drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment