Thursday, July 5, 2018

My Polaris Prize Ballot - 2018 Round Two

So last night at midnight was the deadline for submitting my second-round ballot for the 2018 Polaris Prize. I previously shared my vote for round one and only 2 out of the 5 I voted for made the official Long List from which I then had to submit a new five.

My #1 overall, Jeremy Dutcher, made the cut so it stayed exactly where I put it, while Zaki Ibrahim moved up from #3 to #2 leaving me open slots for #3, 4 and 5.

My own longlist (which I shared in the last post) had sixteen records in common with the official list:  
Allie - Nightshade 
Alvvays - Antisocialites 
Bernice - Puff LP: in the air without a shape 
Bonjay - Lush Life 
Daniel Caesar - Freudian  
Jeremy Dutcher - Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa 
Faith Healer - Try  
Zaki Ibrahim - The Secret Life Of Planets 
Iskwe - The Fight Within 
Pierre Kwenders - MAKANDA at the End of Space, the Beginning of Time 
Partner - In Search of Lost Time 
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - The Average Savage 
U.S. Girls - In A Poem Unlimited 
The Weather Station - The Weather Station 
Weaves - Wide Open 
Charlotte Day Wilson - Stone Woman EP

Subtracting Dutcher and Ibrahim, that meant I had 14 records to consider for the final three slots and after due consideration and a fair amount of 'hemming and hawing' this is what I ended up submitting:









Fingers-crossed I do a bit better on Round Two, but best of luck to all of the artists listed above, and most especially to "my five."

No comments:

Post a Comment