Thursday, May 31, 2018

L CON - "The Art of Staying Tough"

I am currently mainlining the late suggestions by fellow jurors for the 2018 Polaris Prize to give them consideration before finalizing my Longlist ballot and among the contenders is this brand-new album by L CON. Insecurities in Being was released last Friday and slips in to the eligibility period under the wire.

After two full listens I can't say it will crack my Top 5, but it's certainly a strong record that has found a place on my own longlist and if I could give the award to a song and not an album, there's a case to be made for "The Art of Staying Tough." Guest vocalist Casey MQ was unknown to me before this but with this Anohni-esque turn I will definitely be keeping tabs on them. The fragility of their voice on top of the already emotionally fraught lyrics ("this heavy heart / won't go far"... "even when your insides are crumbling / and your outside's all alone") makes this a quietly devastating song.



And here's a version where L CON herself handles the vocals.


No comments:

Post a Comment