Monday, May 26, 2014

Jill Barber - "Broken For Good"

I was hesitant at first. I LOVE Barber's voice, but while the breathy style suited itself to her turn as a chanteuse perfectly; when I read that "Broken For Good" "harkens back to the glory days of Motown" I had to pause. Having just listened to "Broken For Good" a half-dozen times in a row, I'm not sure why I ever doubted her. The song is anchored by the bari-sax and Barber's own vocals play out in the lower register of her range and play on her smooth delivery while the backing vocals are contrastingly sharp. Listen to the early highpoint of "but this time" at the 1:09 mark and become convinced that Barber was born for making music like this. If you're not convinced, wait til the 1:30 mark when the strings soars while Barber glides. Fool's Gold will be out June 17 on Outside Music. Can't wait to hear the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment