Thursday, August 1, 2019

Audrey Powne - "Flowers"

I've only made brief mention of Melbourne, Australia act Leisure Centre here on RR, but the contemporary soul group and Hopestreet Recordings roster member have found their way into my playlists and heart.

Despite the group being on my radar, I missed the fact that band-member Audrey Powne released a solo single earlier this year, but thanks to a Bandcamp article about the Brownswood comp Sunny Side Up, I discovered this gem.

It begins with a glissando harp run and then a swelling horn line and by 0:05, I'm completely won over because these things check some psychological boxes for me. All this before the drums kick in and Powne intones "When you bought me roses / I should've questioned your motives." That first five seconds might not be enough for some people, but if you're not all in by the 30 second mark, by all means close the tab on your browser and walk away because I don't know what to say.

I've always looked forward to more from Leisure Centre and the Hopestreet label, but I've added Powne to the list of Melbourne music I'll always press 'play' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment