Thursday, November 1, 2018

Kirsten Ludwig - "Something I Wanted To Know"

I'm not sure when I first landed on Kirsten Ludwig's Facebook page, but at some point I 'liked' it and so when her new album We Get It Now showed up in this morning's mail from Oscar St. Records, the name resonated. And on the topic of resonating, while I was in from opener "Back to Bed," it was the closing track that did me in and fully won me over. There is a hush to this entire record, but it's most effectively deployed on this languid waltz of a tune that is the epitome of melancholy. Ludwig's voice barely rises above a whisper and yet it soars beyond the reach of the ringing, reverbed guitars. This is some Galaxie 500 fronted by Tamara Lindeman type stuff here and the beautiful pairing of music and voice might distract you from just how gutting lyrics like "I wish you knew / The woman I was / Two years ago / When I felt like someone" actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment